Friday 15 August 2014

Lansky Knife Sharpening Kit

When I was about to get me a sharpening system for my knives, I had a look around at different forums and pretty much everyone told me to get a Spyderco Triangle Sharpmaker. As you can understand from the headline of this post, I didn't listen :)

Instead I got a Lansky Knife Sharpening Kit. It contained three stones, honing oil and the angle tool. The included stones are 120, 280 and 600 grits, and in addition to this, I got a finer stone, 1200 grit, as well to be able to really get that extra sharpness. The angle tool help you keep the same angle all the time throughout the sharpening of your knife, and to me, this has been very helpful.



The system is very easy to use, you just fasten your knife in the clamp, chose an angle for your knife and fasten the stone on the rod. Put the rod in the hole for the chosen angle, and off you go. In the beginning it's a bit tricky to get a hang of the use of the tool, but after some five minutes, you got it. It's that easy.

So why did I get this one instead of Spyderco? Well, the major reasons were...
  • The price. This system was 450 SEK including the extra stone. The Spyderco was about 750 SEK.
  • The Lansky system helped me sharpen the knives in four different angles, the Sharpmaker only two. And besides that, to use the Sharpmaker you have to hold your knife vertical to get the correct angle.
So, what have I used it for? Pretty much every knife in the house :) I gave our kitchen knives a good overhaul, the bush craft knife came out really sharp and the folder on the picture above is now a pleasure to use.

Given the difference in price, I would say this is a really good buy! I cannot say anything about Spyderco, so no shame on them, but for me, Lansky is a very good system and I would recommend it to anyone's on the market for a (new) knife sharpening system.
__
Fredrik

No comments:

Post a Comment