Monday 8 September 2014

UK Hammocks 3/4 underquilt

No matter how you sleep, you still need bottom insulation. When tent camping, that is usually done by using a pad of some sort, (self) inflatable or regular cell foam pads. Those can be used in a hammock as well, but according to me, it's more comfy with an under quilt (uq).

So, how does and uq work? Of course, it depends a little bit on your uq of choice, but generally speaking, it traps the warmth inside of the hammock, just like a sleeping bag. But the main difference compared to a sleeping bad is that an uq will not get squashed under you, instead you hang it under the hammock. Hence the word under quilt.

About a year and a half ago, I got my uq from UK Hammocks. It's a 3/4 length, which means that it will go down to approx your knees. This will save you some weight and pack volume compared to a full length one. The lower parts of your legs are covered by your sleeping bag or top quilt. I still use a sleeping bag, haven't found a reason to step up there yet...

The under quilt is, simply put, just two layers of fabric and some insulation in between. In my case, it's down. Different manufacturers have different solutions on how to keep the uq up against you in the hammock, but UK Hammocks go for the simple and very good solution of shock cords. There are lengthwise cords going from one end to the other, and then there's one cord at each end. The first ones are there to get it up and close to you, otherwise it might get chilly during the night. The later ones are there to make it possible to close the opening in the ends and prevent cold air to seep in. That is nothing you want to happen in the middle of the night, I can tell you. To adjust the end shock cords, it can help in having a friend there to assist you. Either your friend is in the hammock (if similar size to you) and you adjust the cords, or vice versa. Otherwise it will be a lot of jumping in and out of the hammock adjusting the cords and you still don't know if it's good enough when you go to sleep.



Testing the under quilt in the back yard
I have spent several nights in my hammock with this uq as bottom insulation and have never been cold. The coldest temps are about -5ÂșC, and I was warm and toasty throughout the night.
A night in the hammocks with my son
The gap you see at the end of my hammock (the one to the left) is filled when I'm in the hammock. But that's the reason for the end shock cords, you don't want that gap when your in the hammock.

Can I recommend the under quilt? Oh, yes! I love my under quilt and would never go back to using a foam pad again. The uq is much more comfy and you are not as dependent on staying in the right place as you are on a pad. If you're using a pad as insulation, you might roll of it and then get a cold spot. That happened to me a couple of times, but never with my uq.

So, if your on the market for a new bottom insulation for your hammock, pay Mat at UK Hammocks a visit!
__
Fredrik

No comments:

Post a Comment