Wednesday 13 August 2014

Osprey Kestrel 68 - a first glance

I have two backpacks at home. One I've been using for some time, a GoLite Quest 70 litres. The other one is new, an Osprey Kestrel 68. Both are fairly light weight, but here's why I just got the new one...

The biggest reason for me to start looking at a new backpack was actually that I wanted to be able to store the sleeping back and under quilt in a separate compartment. This way I can set up my camp without having to remove all the kitchen stuff and clothes. Or vice versa, I don't have to remove the hammock sleeping gear from the sack just to reach the extra shirt. There are a lot of backpacks with the separate sleeping bag storage, so this is nothing extra ordinary. But I also want my backpack to be around 70 litres. Yeah, it's a bit on the big side, especially as I don't tend to go on any week long trips. But I like to be able to bring along what I want, and weight is rarely a problem. At least, it haven't been so far. And, secondly, I use my backpack when going on holiday with my family, and then it's not just my things that goes down in my sack...

Even though the weight don't tend to be an issue for me, I still want my pack to be as light as possible, but still have the above mentioned feature. And the Kestrel matched it for me weighing in at 1.82 kg (according to Osprey), including the integrated rain cover.

So far I have just filled it with the sleeping bag, under quilt, spirit stove and some more to get a feel about it when stuffed. And it feels really good. I still have some adjustments to do to make it perfect, but that'll come. I'll give it a more extensive test in a couple of weeks when I'm off to the woods for the first time with it.

Until then, you can have a look at the YouTube video from Osprey


__
Fredrik

No comments:

Post a Comment